Booking Terms & Conditions
By purchasing and/or using a Kiwi Experience travel pass you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions. In these terms and conditions references to “you” or “your” mean the purchaser of the travel pass and/or the passenger using the travel pass as the case may be. References to “Kiwi Experience” or “our” mean Tourism Holdings Limited.
- Kiwi Experience travel passes (Travel Passes) are valid for travel in one direction for the route stated on the Travel Pass, except with an Unlimited Travel Pass where you can re-travel certain sections (see point 20).
- Travel using the Travel Pass must commence within 12 months of the date of purchase unless otherwise stated. Travel Passes are valid for 12 months from the first date of travel, or until you have travelled once over all sections of the Travel Pass, whichever occurs first.
- Travel agent vouchers or website E-Tickets are not valid Travel Passes and must be exchanged for a valid Travel Pass before you can travel on a Kiwi Experience service.
- Travel Passes which have expired may be extended on the following terms. A Travel Pass can expire either because you did not use it within 12 months of purchase (or such lesser period if stated in the specific terms of purchase) or you have not finished your travels within 12 months from the first date of travel. Extensions must be requested and paid for prior to the expiry date of the Travel Pass. A charge of NZD$50 per month (period) of extension applies to all extensions. Further, if you wish to extend your Travel Pass prior to your first date of travel and the current Travel Pass price is higher at time of extension than the price you paid for your Travel Pass, the difference must also be paid. There are no refunds in the event the Travel Pass price at the time of extension is less than the price you paid for your Travel Pass.
- Kiwi Experience assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen Travel Passes. Upon proof of purchase, Kiwi Experience may, at its sole discretion, issue a replacement Travel Pass. A NZD$25 re-issue fee will apply.
- Kiwi Experience Travel Passes are non-transferable.
- Cancellation policy for Travel Passes: In the event you have purchased a Travel Pass and subsequently wish to cancel it, Kiwi Experience may refund your Travel Pass at its sole discretion, in which event you will be required to pay a cancellation fee as follows: a. where the purchase price of the Travel Pass is less than NZD$200, the cancellation fee shall be equivalent to the price paid for the Travel Pass; b. where the purchase price of the Travel Pass is greater than NZD$200, the cancellation fee is NZD$200 ($166AUD). No Travel Pass may be cancelled following the first date of travel.
- Travel reservations are recommended on Kiwi Experience services and should be made at least 5 days before departure to give you the best chance of a seat in the summer period (1 January to 30 April), and 2 days before departure to ensure a seat at other times. Changes to reservations must be made at least 24 hours prior to departure. All reservations and changes must be made by contacting our reservations department:
Ph: +64 (9) 336 4286 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No Shows: Should you fail to show for any booked and confirmed departure your Travel Pass will become invalid unless and until a NZD$50 fee is paid to reinstate the Travel Pass.
- Kiwi Experience reserves the right to vary any fares, routes, overnight stops, pricing, inclusions, accommodation operators, departure dates, times and locations without notice. Kiwi Experience reserves the right to substitute other vehicles in place of our own. Kiwi Experience product inclusions and advertised accommodation operators are not guaranteed and will be provided where possible.
- Kiwi Experience will endeavour to adhere to stated departure and arrival times but will not be liable for any failure to meet those times or for any cancellation or delay of Kiwi Experience services.
- Kiwi Experience shall not be liable for any loss or damage of any kind, including indirect or consequential loss or damage, arising directly or indirectly out of a cancellation or abandonment of, or delay to, any trip, however caused.
- Kiwi Experience has preferred agreements with accommodation providers however we cannot always guarantee your first choice of accommodation.
- Luggage is limited to one piece at 23 kilograms. For additional luggage charges may apply.
- Kiwi Experience reserves the right to refuse to carry any passenger, luggage or goods at its sole discretion.
- Kiwi Experience will not be liable for the sickness of, injury to, or death of, any passenger, or the loss of, or damage to, any personal effects, whether caused by Kiwi Experience’s negligence or otherwise. There is no travel insurance cover included in the price of a Travel Pass and Kiwi Experience recommends that you obtain travel insurance to cover any sickness, injury, or loss that may occur while you are travelling with Kiwi Experience.
- You agree to indemnify Kiwi Experience against any loss, damage or expense suffered or incurred by Kiwi Experience, its officers, employees, agents or related companies as a result of any claim by any third party whose claim arises from your use of your Travel Pass or your acts or omissions while travelling on any Kiwi Experience service.
- Where the services of another operator are provided as part of the Travel Pass it is agreed and understood that Kiwi Experience has no responsibility whatsoever for any default of that operator.
- Child fares apply for passengers under 15 years old. Passengers under 18 years must travel with their parent(s), spouse or guardian. There must be at least 1 parent, spouse or guardian for every 2 passengers under 18 years old. Proof of identification and age may be requested and failure to provide such proof may invalidate your Travel Pass.
- “Unlimited Travel” is available only on Kiwi Experience National Passes validated as ‘Unlimited Travel’ on the Kiwi Experience pass. Unlimited Travel excludes the Cape, Deep South, Waitomo Wanderer and any other sectors operated by an external supplier to Kiwi Experience. Unlimited Travel is subject to availability with first time Travel Pass users having priority. Unlimited Travel is valid for 12 months from the date of first validation, as per the standard Kiwi Experience Travel Pass validity. The Unlimited Travel Pass user is entitled to reuse the pass for repeat travel, provided that travel follows the fixed route stipulated on the pass type. Unlimited Travel cannot be used for repeat, backto- back travel on any specific section of the route and the whole route must be completed before repeating any sector. Unlimited Travel Passes are nontransferable and identification must be presented to the driver. Kiwi Experience reserves the right to cancel Unlimited Travel without reason. Failure to adhere to these conditions will result in you being removed from the relevant Kiwi Experience service and being liable to pay for any sectors travelled in breach of these conditions.
- Kiwi Experience does not offer the Waitomo sector on routes heading North. No Kiwi Experience Travel Pass that includes the Waitomo sector can exchange the Waitomo sector going South bound for a trip operated by the Waitomo Wanderer going North bound.
- These terms and conditions are governed by the law of New Zealand and you and Kiwi Experience agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of New Zealand in any dispute. Nothing in these terms and conditions affects your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.
- Kiwi Experience may, at any time and without notice, vary any of these terms and conditions.
- Kiwi Experience will not be liable for breach of, or any failure to perform its obligations under, these terms and conditions where such breach or failure is caused by anything beyond Kiwi Experience’s reasonable control including, but not limited to, war, civil commotion, hostility, act of terrorism, strike, lockout, other industrial act, weather phenomena or other act of God, or governmental regulation or direction.
- If any part of these terms and conditions is held to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal for any reason, they will be deemed to be amended by the addition or deletion of wording necessary to remove the invalid, unenforceable or illegal part, but otherwise to remain unchanged to the maximum extent permissible under applicable law.