THAT YOU DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW (MAYBE)
New Zealand is a quirky little nation and we are very proud of our slightly weird and wonderful ways. Do you want to know a couple of fun facts about New Zealand that you didn't already know? Read on dear friends and be amused.
1. Let's start off with the most wonderful time of year - Christmas. In NZ, all television advertising is BANNED on Christmas Day! No annoying ads or jingles interrupting your post-Christmas dinner slob-out session. Thank you, Santa!
2. Ever thought 'I wonder where the steepest residential street in the world is?' Me too. Often. Well, I can tell you it is, in fact, Baldwin Street in Dunedin, with a gradient of 1 in 2.86.
3. What about New Zealand's politics? Did you know that in 1893, we were the first country to give women the right to vote? On top of that, New Zealand is considered one of the least corrupt nations in the world, alongside Sweeden, Finland and Denmark. We are super proud of our small but mighty country.
4. On the subject of politics, in 1982, New Zealand appointed an official 'Wizard of Christchurch'. Yep, that we know of, New Zealand is still the only country to have a government-appointed wizard. His duties include casting out evil spirits, cheering up the population and to put us on top of the world, both physically and metaphysically. For those disbelievers out there, he was invited to Tamworth in Western Australia to do a rain dance to break a drought, and it worked! If that is not magic, I don't know what is.
5. Let's move on over to cinema and Lord of the Rings. Need we say more? What better reason to visit New Zealand than to check out the place where a worldwide cinema phenomenon was born!
6. Did you know, that whilst New Zealand and the United Kingdom are very similar in size, NZ has a population of only 4.5 million in comparison to 63 million living in the UK?
7. And there are more sheep than people in New Zealand.
8. Keeping nature in mind, the Blue Lake in Nelson Lakes National Park has been given the official stamp of the clearest water in the world.
9. And if bragging rights are included, I would personally go to New Zeland just to say that I visited the town with the longest place name in the world. Want to take a guess? No? Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu. Yes, that is a word.
10. And if we could just take a moment longer on the bragging front, we're proud to announce that New Zealand was voted the worlds best country by Wanderlust magazine in 2007 and 2008. We don't know hats happened since then, but we still think it is the best...
See? Fun facts about New Zealand run a little deeper than kiwi birds and rolling green hills. I'd suggest you get yourself over here, hop on one of our Kiwi Experience buses and discover all the little quirks this beautiful country has to offer.