AUCKLAND IS CONSISTENTLY FEATURED ON TOP 10 LISTS OF PLACES TO VISIT & LIVE.
HERE IS A LIST OF 15 THINGS YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE IF YOU'VE VISITED AUCKLAND!
Whether starting or finishing your Kiwi Experience trip in Auckland, you are spoilt for choice on things to do when in New Zealand’s largest city. Situated between two harbours, with parks a plenty and a beach just minutes from Downtown, Auckland it is a natural playground and great things to do are thick on the ground. Best of all, most of them are free. Here is a list of our top picks on things you should have done if you’ve visited Auckland. (Suggestions of what else to add to the list are always welcome…)
1. Have a picnic at one of our city parks. Cornwall Park would be our pick. It comes complete with sheep, cows and is also home to One Tree Hill whose summit offers a pretty spectacular 360 degree view of the city.
2. Take a walk along Tamaki Drive. Snap a picture of the city along the way, and end up in Mission Bay for fish and chips (and ice creams) on the beach.
3. Catch a ferry and get out on the water. Hop over to Waiheke Island for some wine tasting, or over to Devonport for exploring an old World War Two military site.
4. Make the trek up to K-Road to explore the precincts vintage and retro shops.
5. Loosen the purse strings and go on a food and beverage adventure in Ponsonby – home to the best burgers in Auckland.
6. Go and check out a film at Silo Park — a FREE open air cinema. It is BYO bean bags and blankets and make sure you get there early to secure your space on the grass. One of the best things to do in Auckland.
7. Spend a weekend morning at La Cigale French Markets. Coffee and croque monsieurs for all!
8. Go to gelato heaven at Giapo Haute Icecream on Gore Street. Make sure you take an obligatory photo of your edible work of art.
9. Attend a rugby match at Eden Park – doesn't matter who is playing. Obviously catching sight of the world champion All Blacks would be ideal though ;)
10. Go to the top of the Skytower and take in the view (jumping off once you're up there is also an option for the adventurous).
11. Visit the Auckland Domain – a short jaunt from the city and home to the Auckland War Memorial Museum and the Wintergardens (make sure you throw a coin in the wishing well!)
12. Make your way out to one of the wild, west coast beaches – Piha or Bethells are always on point and Muriwai is home to one of our largest gannet colonies.
13. While you're out west – go for a hike in the Waitakere Ranges and discover some of its many waterfalls.
14. Explore the Viaduct Harbour and Wynyard Quarter and do some super yacht watching. There are some great bars and eateries along the boardwalk to sit back, relax and soak up the sun in.
15. Climb a volcano. This is a must when visiting a city surrounded by over 50 of them. Catch a ferry over to Rangitoto and make a day of it, or summit Mt Eden – just a short walk from the city centre and worth it for the view alone.